Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wrong number.

Today, an unknown Indonesian woman called my phone and mistaken me for her husband's girlfriend. Of course, she lashed out vulgarities and mean insults, as expected. She too refused to believe me when I told her that she's calling the wrong number (what are the odds of calling the wrong number and still end up with an Indonesian girl in Singapore? Even I find it hard to explain that.) She sent me a nasty text too. I felt harassed, and quite terrified of her hunting me down (even more so because I AM NOT WHO SHE IS LOOKING FOR. Goodness. I haven't even heard of her husband's name before. I don't even know HER name.)

But I too sympathize with her...a lot.

Can you imagine summoning the courage to call up a Singapore number, not really knowing how to speak English (this was why I told her "wrong number" in Indonesian, making her realize that I'm an Indonesian girl), to confront the 'other' woman? I can't blame her, really, for refusing to take my explanation. She must be full of wrath and hate, perhaps self-despise too, and my explanation won't be convincing for anyone who doesn't know me in the first place. After that courage and short flare up (which I sincerely hope was somewhat relieving for her), probably realized that she had been harassing the wrong person. The embarrassment of knowing that the person at the receiving end might well be laughing at her or something.

I just can't bring myself to be rude to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment