Yes, go ahead and mock me for being late to catch the awesome Les Miserables movie... I just get to download it just now, and it's really worth my anticipation ;)
The details were amazing. The production design, the actors' costume and make up, the lighting--it's a brilliant movie.
I always feel very terrible for Fantine, and relatively indifferent afterwards.
Fantine, to me, is the epitome of human vulnerability. One bad decision in her youth, and she was cursed and condemned for life. Just to support her sickly child, under the care of fraudsters, she had to bear having her long hair cut, her tooth extracted, her dignity trampled. She is the epitome of human vulnerability, and of a mother's love.
Every time I watch Les Miserables, be it the 10th anniversary musical, the 1998 Liam Neeson movie, the 25th anniversary musical, or the 2012 Hugh Jackman movie, I always feel relatively numbed and indifferent after Fantine's death.
My prayers go to all the real-life "Fantine"s out there. Let there be some help, some strength at the very least, for the helpless.
And here's my favourite Fantine of all time:
Notice how her voice cracks at the most painful lines.
And still I dream he'll come to me,
that we will live the years together.
But there are dreams that cannot be,
and there are storms we cannot weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment