Saturday, January 9, 2010

to hell with MCP's.

I went shopping with my Grandma and Aunt today. What an experience. haha. She was looking for some nice blouse and I just accompany her along, since we rarely go out together anyway! She managed to find one blouse after a while though. I love the two of them a lottt :):)

There was a rather interesting conversation this morning (before the shopping).

Gran was telling us how her friend boasted that she won't accept a daughter in-law shorter than 170 cm. Well, Gran tried to justify her "barriers to entry" by saying that her friend's son is Western-educated, so they both prefer a tall girl. My response, which was spontaneous and rather loud, was WTF in hokkien. I mean, it's fine if you say that 'oh i want a girlfriend who can speak english' or something. But hey. HEIGHT requirement? Seriously? And for common Asian girls, I guess you can find plenty of >165cm but not >170cm. Come on, this is just a little too much, right? I asked my Gran, is the guy like freaking Prince in shining armour or something? Or is he super qualified, in terms of character and education background? Or is the mother of that guy simply a typical tyrant BITCHY mom-in-law? My Gran continued defending them, saying that taller wife, taller kids. I was like... RIGHT. That's logical, but at the same time, a bit too naggy right? I asked my Gran, how tall her friend is. She's typical 163cm. Shorter than my Gran. How tall is her son? 18- something. Hello? My mom's 154, her 13 years old son is currently 179cm! (yes Collin, turns out he's not taller than you yet)
*you're probably thinking that I'm insane by now, arguing about this*
Then of course, I made my point. I strongly believe that it's simply riddiculous and narcistic to have a SPECIFIC and STRICT height requirement for your future spouse/daughter-in-law. Not a very feasible one to boot. Well, go marry an Ang-Moh or a model la! Oh wait, she'll complain that they're of different culture or whatever. Good luck finding your future daughter in-law, Ma'am! Hope she'll be tall, pretty, well brought up, domestic, quiet, bulliable, suck-up expert and oh, dumb. :)

After she let me made my point, my Gran just said this one line, that made me think the whole day.
"Your mindset on males and their moms are too Western. We'll never manage to marry you off."

-,- I know.
*in my head, 'their moms' are still females right? they used to be those girls waiting to get married to leh. They know how it felt like to be objectified. Why so guai lan?*


But hey, does this mean that it's a FLAW to think that man shouldn't treat woman like they're objects? You know, putting such speicific height requirement is rather insulting I find. What do they think girls are? Something you can shop for? Well, go to some poorer kampongs and buy the girls there la. You can choose all you want. Oh wait. They aren't educated/Westernised enough for them. Too bad.

Let me make this clear, I do not expect all guys to be accepting. Girls and guys both have their own 'template' of ideal spouse to refer to, and this is only natural. Under certain circumstances, like Brit Prince must marry a woman of good family backgroud (preferrably Royal, if I'm not wrong. Or must be royal), it's understandable to have strictly followed checklist. But then again, if EVERYONE has a checklist to be strictly followed, and if the checklist is rather 'unique', I guess we can kiss bye-bye to human race in 100 years' time or less.

It just appalls me that a female thinking that way is considered a FLAW. Yes, I know I'm inferring a lot from such a stupid argument. However, I will NOT dumbify myself and accept male domination. Too bad. I'd rather be unmarried than being stuck to a chauvinistic pig for the rest of my life and having to raise kids who are forced to think like their dad. Seriously.

And of course, I still love my Gran a whole lot lah. We just argue about stupid stuff almost everyday. It's good interaction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment