Monday, April 21, 2014

Reflections

Officially, I will end my SMU life only on 6th June 2014. However, most of my friends have already signed off the last page of that chapter, and I can't help but looking forward to my turn to do so.

I have done some thinking, of how the past 4 years had changed my life so much. Generally, I have grown wiser (I hope) by learning about:
  • The intimidating modules that I somehow managed to sail through. Maybe I really shouldn't be that easily intimidated.
  • The painfully mediocre GPA that constantly reminded me the importance of a balanced student life (otherwise I will be so depressed from 4 years of totally fruitless pursuits).
  • The minimum return on investment that I have to get used to. C'est la vie. Fucking learn to deal with it.

  • The importance of stepping forward courageously in times of uncertainty, because life is about pleasant surprises and eventful disappointments anyway. What's so good with a flat life?
  • The resilience of the human soul. In the past four years, I have survived some of the darkest nights and the worst ringing-in-my-head one-liners. I have also witnessed the recoveries from a stroke episode, a cancelled engagement, and several broken hearts; different people, of course, but all had demonstrated the unbreakability of the human soul oh-so-elegantly.
  • The significance of crying it out.

  • The thrill of having a secret stash of vices well stored in pastel-coloured drawers.
  • The joys of traveling. Oh, I really can't thank God, my family and friends enough for my wonderful traveling episodes in the past four years.

  • The inevitability of self-deconstruction, every now and then. Even Dumbledore's phoenix burnt itself from time to time, just to rise from the ashes. Perhaps those soul-debilitating moments are exactly what's needed for a proper rebirth.

  • The necessity of skepticism, especially on intentions.

  • ...and the list goes on, really.


So thank you, SMU life, for teaching me the important lessons in life, and for preparing me for the lessons that I have yet to learn.

Yeah, you belong with me, not swallowed in the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment