Wednesday, February 20, 2013

When Harry met Sally



I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

When Harry met Sally--excellent script, excellent selection of soundtrack. It's my favourite movie of all time, second only to Breakfast at Tiffany's. The essence of the movie is not what the tagline says--something about friends having sex--it is not so superficial. To me, the essence of the movie is about finally realizing that the person you're supposed to be with might have been there in your life all along. Harry and Sally took 12 years to realize that. It's not about the friendship and sex. The sex was there just because it's Hollywood, and there has to be a 'trigger point' to make these two characters realize their feelings within the 120-minutes movie. 


It is the little things that make them subconsciously fall in love with each other. It is the annoying differences that made them complement each other. It is the very things they thought are deal-breakers that became the foundation of their friendship and, later, love. 


What if they realize this when they're much older? Or when they're both already married to different persons? Or (dramatic cue) one of them is dead? 


All I know is, I'm thankful I already found what I have been looking for all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment