Sunday, September 2, 2012

Triumphant Day

Today is the first day I attended a wedding as a couple, and I found myself quite emotional at some bits of the holy matrimony. When the bride walked into the chapel with her father, with this Indonesian song titled "Perfect" playing in the background, I felt the big "aww" moment there and then. But anyway it was a sweet wedding, and I wish all the best for the lovely newlyweds.

They were sharing with the guests how they first met, and how the bride used to pray to God that he's "the one", while at the same time, the groom prayed to God, asking if she's "the one" for him. It sounds like a very straightforward, painless search of a soulmate, doesn't it?

I used to dislike attending weddings. I always thought that the sweetness was almost surreal, in fact almost artificial. A wedding, with all the cakes, dresses and budgets, is such an insignificant task when compared to marriage itself. How many of these couples will make it together till their old, wrinkly, toothless days? I have always been a realist that way.

Today, I thought of a wedding day as a day of celebration for the couple's triumph over fear.

Imagine the various traits and intensities of fear one has to face before reaching that day:
Fear of loneliness before they met.
Fear of rejection when one first asked for the other's phone number.
Fear of uncertainties when one was unsure of the other's intention in the relationship.
Fear of heartbreak right before they fell for each other.
Fear of betrayal when one found oneself devoted to the other.
Fear of commitments when one thought of the possible future.
And so on.

I would like to think that on a wedding day, the couple is showing to everyone how brave they have been to come this far; or maybe how love has somehow conquered their fear.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment