Friday, January 21, 2011

Get lost.

What does it feel like to have no plans at all, to do just what you want to do, right at that instant? I've always wondered what life would feel like if I have no plans--at all. Maybe that's why I love Holy Golightly so much: she has no plans.

Imagine this: carry a backpack, with some warm clothes and sufficient cash, take a bus 36 to Changi Airport. There and then, look at the departure board and see which flight sounds good. Paris? Barcelona? New York? Milan? Melbourne? Anything. Go to the counter, and just purchase the ticket. Some serious me-time there huh? Upon arrival, go get a part-time job there, know some locals, savor some local delicacies and learn the local lingo. Fall in love, perhaps.

All those, with a backpack of clothes and necessities, with the emotional luggage intentionally left behind at Changi Airport. Maybe it's true what they say, that we need to lose our way before we can find ourselves.

Let us be lovers, we'll marry our fortunes together. I've got some real estate here in my bag. So we bought a pack of cigarettes, and Mrs Wagner's pies, and walked off to look for America.
"America" by Simon & Garfunkel.

No comments:

Post a Comment